Thursday, October 18, 2012

HOLMENTZER BASIC

While DMing the last few years, I've seen myself spiral from simply using Moldvay Basic & Cook Expert (B/X), to falling down the OD&D rabbit hole (thanks OSR!) & having a stack of LBB/Supplement print-outs, Holmes, B/X, sometimes Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry White Box, various modules, AD&D books, OSR supplements, etc., basically whatever I grab before play @ my side, & when/if something comes up, I just choose which to refer to on-the-fly. While I have no probs w/ this approach, obviously, & it can be fun for me, esp. when I'm itching to use something I've recently read, as of late, I've been feeling the need to simplify.

In retrospect, I could never get into using the LBBs, only. While I dig the idea & openness of OD&D, which in many ways carries into Holmes Basic, it can be a pain in the ass when you're looking for anything specific in a timely manner, even just a monster stat (I've made lots of stuff up on the spot b/c of this (not sayin that's a bad thing, just sayin)). As for the retro-clones, though I've been inspired by them & enjoy looking @, & reading them, I find I always end up reaching for actual TSR stuff during play. So I got to thinking: while I'd settled on Holmes being a choice median between OD&D & Moldvay, what other book could I cross reference w/ Holmes that's 1) fairly well-organized, 2) adds a lot of the stuff I dig in Moldvay, & 3) can fit into Expert if I decide to go that route vs. AD&D as Holmes suggests? Recently reading through its "Procedures and rules" section, I found my answer: Mentzer Basic Dungeon Masters Rulebook.
HOLMENTZER BASIC SET

Holmes Blue Book & Mentzer DMR? At least until I change my mind again. I plan to blog about some of the stuff I come up against during reconciliation. Supposed to rev the Furthermoor Adventure Express back up next week, so I might be posting again more regularly. We'll see.




1 comment:

  1. I like the title. I currently have only the DM book from the Mentzer set. Looking forward to more posts on combining the two.

    ReplyDelete