Thursday, January 19, 2012

WHAT ABOUT MY BOOK ON COSMETICS?

Know what annoys me most when playing a fantasy "RPG" video game? The story element of the game & the huge learning curve that comes w/ its plethora of lore... Coincidentally, it seems that the most successful video games of the day are those that allow players to wander away from the story for long stretches @ a time: Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, etc. These games lean more on the strengths of modern video game technology, but are also limited by the trappings of the robot's mind: whether you or I enter Riverdale when we turn on the game, the NPCs will say the same things & act the same ways & all of the items are in the same places, etc.
When it comes to old school pen-and-paper D&D though, my views on story are quite the opposite as it's actually one of my favorite elements of the game. It's an organic & creative process that develops as multiple human brains play off of one another. You never know what will happen, or what someone may decide to do or create. That, to me, is the strength of a true role playing game & it cannot be duplicated by a computer.

That said, it bums me out when my character finds a book in a video game & I am expected to actually sit there & READ THROUGH six pages of generic fantasy fiction to obtain some nugget of player knowledge about the game world, etc. Why cant my act of opening it just tell me what my character now knows? Or what I need to know? Or how my character is better @ carpentry now?

So, what about that book your character found on cosmetics? The character can read it when they have time. A high intelligence will speed up their reading/comprehension. If what they are reading is a specific history topic, the character will be given the specific information they learn from reading the book. If the book is a general topic, like cosmetics, or say, taxidermy, then reading the book would be noted on the character's sheet for future negotiation leverage w/ the DM, e.g. the character is trying to work up a disguise ("also, remember a week ago I read that book on cosmetics?"), or perhaps trying to embalm a slain creature. Their having read each book respectively will aid them in the appropriate task. In a way, this adds skills to the game w/o adding a skill mechanic.

7 comments:

  1. Dude. I actually had a PLAN for that book on cosmetics. You have no idea. When I find the sonofabitch who stole it, I'm going to rearrange their face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amadi reads and catalogs everything, I mean everything. It's one of his quirks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree from this corner of the world. Top 10 things I love about pen and paper rpgs... (no particular order)
    10. you don't have to have combat to have fun
    9. use of pro social communication skills is a must AND useful in the real world
    8. use of real world problem solving skills
    7. rolling dice is cooler than pressing a button
    6. character customization truly has infinite possibilities
    5. rules can and should be changed, altered, or tweaked
    4. roleplaying is kinda hilarious
    3. story telling is good for the brain
    2. it's a better online pastime than porn or gambling
    1. I read more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucius, did it have to do w/ someone named Lyla? Unknown Amadi, thanks for yr wisdom, didnt you find a book on Mathematics or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did find a book on math which is probably already finished thanks to my 18 int. Can I borrow the cosmetics one when you get done?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Generally, to read a full book, it'll take one day of leisure, but given you have an 18, we'll say you were able to knock out about 1/3 of it before heading to the Gambling Hall (after fighting off the temptation to begin copying that sleep scroll).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, maybe you do have SOME idea...

    ReplyDelete