Friday, February 3, 2012

ELVES & EXPERIENCE

My initial plan for this game was to treat elves like Moldvay Basic: they function as both magic-users & fighters @ any given time & b/c of this, their experience path reflects this mash up by requiring 4000 XP to reach 2nd Level, i/o/w the m-u & fighter XP paths have been joined together w/ a slight handicap. I think this is also an optional rule in the Swords & Wizardry White Box rules.

But I dont want to do it this way anymore. I wanna do it the old way, w/ a few mods.
The old way is this: elves are multi-classed: you have two XP paths: the magic-user path & the fighter/ranger/thief/whatever-else path. When you are given XP, you can choose where to put that XP: split it up, put it all in fighter XP, put it all in m-u etc. The only guideline I really have is that you put the XP in the appropriate place, i/o/w, if you just gained 500 XP & you havent cast one spell in the game, I would rather you not put 500 XP into the magic-user XP path. I'm not saying that you can't do that, but doing so would probably mean your character isnt getting much sleep since they must be secretly practicing magic in their downtime. Going this route will make it standard for an elf to have different levels in each class, e.g. Willowbrain is a 3rd Level fighter & 2nd Level magic-user.

This is basically OD&D, though I'm removing the need for an elf to specify each day (or before each adventure) what class they are playing. Likewise, I am removing total armor restrictions on elves that use magic: they can still cast magic while wearing leather armor, just no metal armor (unless magical, of course).

Leif, I've updated your character sheet w/ this info. You just need to assign your XP. Also, Robert, take note for your new dude.

8 comments:

  1. Leveling up as a MU has obvious strengths. Before making a move on this, could the Chef shed some light on what exactly the benefits are of being a Level II ranger? Is it just about being better at tracking/surprising, or is there more to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so does kinda seem that Rangers are basically fighters with a better ability to track/surprise...with lots of drawbacks in exchange (on the possessions/hirelings fronts).

    as a Fighter with a 9 DEX and STR, i'd say i'm pretty fortunate to be an elf.
    maybe the question about applying XP is whether leveling up as a Ranger will help mend my weaknesses,
    or whether leveling up as a MU will play to my strengths.
    would love some advice on this.

    ps: what's this mean?
    "Advantages which accrue to low-level Rangers are:
    +They receive no regular bonuses for advancement due to ability,
    but they automatically gain 4 experience points for every 3 earned."

    am i to take it that when i earn XP, i get credit at a 4:3 ratio to other classes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rangers also gain magic ability @ later levels... also, one rule we hadnt incorporated, but now we should, is that rangers start out w/ 2 HD, in other words, when you rolled for your HP (1d6) you only rolled one - you should right now roll another & add that roll to your maximum HP... so Rangers have the possibility of 12 HP starting out + they generally have a high CON to qualify so they get that bonus as well (for you, when you roll 1d6, you will do +2 to that & add to your max HP

    As for that phrase on advantages, let me look @ this a bit...to be honest, i am not all that familiar w/ the ranger class & have mainly refered to AD&D, but i feel we can iron it all out as we go...what i sent you was the first appearance of the class for the game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that "2 hit dice" note on the Strat Rev; was gonnna be my next question. Also the note "*either with the standard system or the alternate system which allows fighters 8-sided dice."

      Delete
  4. Also, regarding your question of leveling up - honestly, so far you have played mainly as a Ranger, so I would suggest going that route for now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was just thinking it might actually be more appropriate to question whether I've played more as a Ranger or an Elf (since that's where the MU powers come from).
      As a level II ranger, I'd get 3 hit dice...which is something to consider. But at this point, I've neither tracked nor surprised a damned thing. I've used the speak/animals spell to good outcome once, so to me it's a total toss-up, depending on what will help the party more...

      Delete
  5. Valid points - i suggest splitting own middle for now, perhaps & going from there...

    As for the HD question, they are referring to OD&D (where all classes use 1d6) vs. Greyhawk Supp which introduces variable HD where fighters use 1d8 - in our game, rangers use 1d6

    ReplyDelete